.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Make Way for Ducklings

Boston Public Garden off-limits to cyclists
The Boston Public Garden is off-limits to cyclists. Since at least 1941, when Robert McCloskey wrote the charming Make Way for Ducklings there has been a perception of Boston cyclists as dangerous and rude.

Boston Public Garden bike cyclist cycling law rules make way for ducklingsA car vs. cyclist article yesterday in the Boston Globe had me angry all last night. Angry at the cars who can't see the bigger picture. Angry at the cyclists with the same problem. Why can't we see that everything we do affects people around us? When selfish cyclists flout the rules I, by virtue of simply being on my bike, end up at risk of being targeted for felony criminal assault, through no fault of my own.

The comments following that Globe article are sobering. I'd hate to see cycling outlawed on the streets of Boston. What a step backwards that would be for everyone. I'm too angry to write any more, I'm going to leave it at that.