.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Monday, July 19, 2010

Forbes Article on Expensive Bicycles

Forbes magazine article
My stepdad sent me this Forbes Magazine article on the world's most expensive bikes. They're mostly racing bikes, but they did include the bike shown above. They say:

"The Luxury Gold Collection bike is covered in 24-karat gold leaf, with 11,000 Swarovski crystals mounted on various components and a python leather seat, handlebars and pump included."

Granted, the bike is over-the-top and essentially useless as transportation at that price (unless you never park it anywhere, ever), but in a strange way, some of those details make the tiniest bit of sense to me. Swarovski crystals *would* make pretty decent reflectors, and how about all the ladies who have trouble sliding forward on their saddles? A python seat has the "nap" to ensure a person can only slide one direction. Hopefully they designed the saddle correctly for that. I see it's a coaster brake with a front disk brake, and they had fun with the spoke lacing pattern. You'd think that at their price you'd be buying a full set of fenders!

I'll never own this bike (I think I'd prefer their gold-plated Brompton!), but like couture dresses, it's fun to ogle their concept.