.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Monday, May 10, 2010

Long Distance New Bicycle Excitement

1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Bridgestone RB-T colorI have a new bicycle! It's not exclusively mine, but that's a mere detail. I know my dad loves me because he's slammed at work and still he took the time to answer the Craigslist ad I found for this lovely 1994 Bridgestone RB-T and bring it home for me.

The Grant Peterson Bridgestones have a cult following I'm only beginning to understand. I look forward to riding this bike and learning more. I have many plans for this bike!

Googling around various groups I found a discussion which included:
Technically, it was never marketed as a dedicated touring model, but as a versatile hilly road/light trail/cyclocross-ish bike. It was equipped with a triple, but a tall road triple, not a touring triple. It has shortish chainstays (but supposedly long enough for panniers - and I think they went longer in 1994), a relatively tight fork offset, two sets of water bottle braze-ons rather than three, and only one set of eyelets front and rear (though I think this varied by year, but there were no front fork low-rider braze-ons). It does have cantilevers and enough room for wide tires.

1994 Bridgestone RB-T
All of this is ideal for the sort of fire road-style riding my dad does, with a little commuting thrown in. This bike will be mine when I'm home, and available to Dad's lady-friend all the time. I personally like the drop handlebars, but for other people using the bike I'm contemplating changing to moustache bars. Thoughts appreciated!

I'm so excited! On to "wayward adventures"!